We all know that for advanced players, cues that suit you are good cues. So I think your best pool cues are your handmade cues by yourself, which is arts and crafts.
However, it may be expensive to find an expert to customize cues, so you can consider making a cue yourself.
Today I want to speak a little about how to get handmade cues.
1. Prepare material for your best pool cues:
Cylindrical Ash, 125cm in length and 3cm in diameter
Purple sandalwood wedge decoration arrangement, 3 * 1 * 50cm
The main tools are planer, as well as clips and sandpaper. Tools: Carpenter’s plane (must use a plane, preferably plane + bird plane), ruler, G-shaped clip or F-shaped clip (fixed), woodworking glue or AB glue, all kinds of sandpaper, sandpaper holder, vernier caliper.
Models used for planers: Woodworking planers, one long and one short.
2. Prepare the wood of your best pool cues:
Generally, the wood of top cues comes from Canada, such as Canadian maple. Choose a fertile field to plant maple trees.
When the maple tree grows to about two years and the diameter is about the thickness of the arm, the maple tree will become the best quality wood for making cues.
The felled maple is first stripped of bark and then placed in a cool and ventilated place for about three months until the moisture of the wood has completely evaporated so that the surface is not easy to crack.
The workers scrap off the surface of the air-dried maple and then apply a layer of varnish to the surface evenly. After standing for one month, it is planed and then coated with varnish.
Repeat the operation like this to allow the oil to soak the wood. It is possible to avoid the occurrence of cracks and deformation as far as possible in future use.
3. General workmanship in post-production processing:
The essence of the entire maple is the inside part left for making the cue. The next step is to make the wood into a cue.
The entire machining process is carefully completed by hand on a precision machine. The tapered cutting of the front section, the installation of the leather head, the installation of the connecting screws, etc.
The leatherhead, adapter ring, middle wheel, rear wheel, grip, etc. are all made of the highest quality materials and strive for excellence.
The final decoration process varies from brand to brand, some are plain and simple, while others are inlaid with ivory and other accessories.
This is how to get an excellent cue.
To make a cue, you should choose high-quality forelimb wood. And this is also the most important consideration.
Then you should make the forelimb wood straight. In different manufacturing processes, it is necessary to ensure the strength and hardness of the pool cue.
Adjusting the precise center of gravity to match the density of each wood is important. It is necessary to air dry the wood at different stages to achieve high stability of the cue, which is not easy to bend and deform.
In the end, you can use different woods as decoration, among which to ensure the artistic of your cue.
4. Here are some simple steps to make an entire cue:
- Choose the board, this board has been naturally air-dried for several years
- The ash and maple boards are also naturally air-dried
- Cut the board into square strips, and then air dry
- rough machining into a circular cone by machine
- hand-processed cone, trim the ash to a taper and then plan a bevel (draw the mark in advance with a pencil)
- cutting wood for decoration arrangement
- cues and decoration arrangements preliminary bonding
- Fix the ball and decoration arrangement and glue them together
- hand-polished sand cone, polish the side to be pasted with sandpaper to make it slippery
- To adjust the weight and center of gravity of the cue, drill holes in the last part of the cue to remove some wood, and also prepare the connector for extension after installation
- install the appropriate copper head for the cue
- install a suitable front branch and rear handle connector
- sand the shaft with a whole piece of sandpaper
- hand-polished shaft
- measure the weight of the cue
- inlay the trademark at the end of the cue/embed a beech wood and print the name by laser
- extend the connector after installation
- grind the head with a machine to even
- install and polish the cue head
- oiling and polishing the finished cue
5. Workmanship and caution will add value to your best pool cues:
There is so much workmanship that can add value to cues, but I will speak about something that makes a difference.
We can use various hardwoods for different weight properties of the cues, which determine the final weight of the cue. We can even put wood in the liquid stabilizer multiple times. Then we can turn the wood some times.
U should know that the main material of the shaft is hard rock maple. Various materials and the processes the cue goes through provide greater stability and assure us that there will be less warpage throughout the lifetime of the cue.
We think the fronts of the cue, coupled with the butt, will provide an excellent hitting result (strong and stable). This brings the cues one step closer to have the stable “hit”, no matter the choice of wood.
It is necessary for handmade cues to avoid abuse during the lifetime of the cue, considering workmanship and materials.